Events & Lectures
OLLI ADVENTURES: JAMES MUSEUM OF WESTERN & WILDLIFE ART, ST. PETERSBURG
March 1 @ 9:15 AM - 3:00 PM
WHAT: James Museum of Western & Wildlife Art Tour
WHEN: Friday, March 1, depart Temple Beth Sholom parking lot 9:15 a.m;
return: 3 p.m. (approx.)
FEE: $55 (Lunch not included)
INCLUDES: Transportation and museum admission. The fee does not include lunch. Lunch is on your own in downtown St. Petersburg. You may also have lunch at the Canyon Cafe, which is inside the museum. No event refunds. Tickets are transferrable.
The James Museum of Western & Wildlife Art opened in St. Petersburg in 2017. The building houses the collections of Tom and Mary James. These two dedicated patrons of the arts collected works in oil, ink, and stone; works that evoke the spirit of a wide-open frontier and the beauty of life in the wild.
Guests will journey through six galleries:
• The Early West features the oldest paintings in the collection, from the 1890s to the 1940s.
• Native Life tells visual stories of American Indian life in the 1800s.
• Native Artists is dedicated to art by 20th- and 21st-century American Indian artists. (The jaw-dropping Jewel Box within this gallery celebrates contemporary Native American jewelry).
• The Frontier explores cowboy life and their independent, hard-working culture.
• Wildlife Gallery showcases paintings and sculptures of North American mammals and birds, then expands to animals from around the globe.
• The New West Gallery features Western subjects in unexpected styles and approaches. Inspired by Pop Art, Cubism, and other movements.
Join us for a docent-led tour of the galleries. You’ll have time to discover the museum on your own.
TOUR ACTIVITY LEVEL: Easy. Walking and standing. Wear comfortable shoes and clothing.